Thursday, July 28, 2011

Loving the past, living the now

Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks

My friend and I were talking the other day, and I told her how foolish I felt for loving things/people/movies/whatever from the past so much. I mean, why can't I be like a "normal" girl who loves stuff from this time period? It seems like it would be so much easier. But, then I think, I don't want to be that "normal" person because then I wouldn't be me. I love the glamour and the beauty and emotions in silent film. And I love the history behind them, love how old they are.

I love Buster Keaton. Duh. But, sadly, I was born at least 20 years after he died. Not after he was born, but died. Yeah, wayyyyy before my time. But, he still had an impact on my life. When I visited his grave the last time in May, sat there and talked to him (like I had done before) and told him how much he inspired me. Inspired me how? I mean, I don't want to be a slapstick comedian who never smiles. But, he inspires me not to give up on what I love. I want to be a star, and I want him to look down at me and be proud. I wanna make him proud by being a wonderful actress and be able to join the ranks of my favorite stars of the past. I think he would be proud that I am not gonna let anything stand in front of my dreams and just keep on going forward. I don't talk about my dreams with, well, anyone really but it does feel good to write about it and get it out of my head. And this is why blogging about silent films helps because I don't have anyone in my life that I can gush about them too and have a conversation about them with. I can let people know I love them by them asking about the silent film title card tattoo on my arm though :) But, I must say, thanks again guys for reading my blog. Means a lot.

And here is some more insight that I told my friend Val I would write about. We were having discussions about perfect guys and again I brought up how I felt stupid for loving Peter Tork and The Monkees and how I would get mad at myself for getting upset for not being around during the 1960s when they were younger. I grew up loving them, but it was 20 or 30 years after their heyday. I see them now and love them still, but it doesn't feel the same because they look so much different than they do when I would watch them on tv. But, then I had a thought about the situation while driving in the car. And I am sure this may sound stupid and that's fine, because I don't really give a shit anymore. But, even if I never had the chance to meet the guys when they were younger, I can live my life fully like they did and like I saw them do. Peter inspires me to do whatever it is I want to do and be proud of who I am. I am very smart, I love singing, I love acting, I love thinking like a flapper from the 1920s or a flower child hippie from the 1960s and just loving who I am. I am unique and that is pretty damn groovy. I hope I get a chance to tell him that one day if I can get the words out because when I have met him, I was in shock.

Dorothy Janis and Ramon Novarro

So, there you have it. Thanks again for reading. Love everyone who reads and comments on my page. :) You really make my day.

6 comments:

  1. Great post! So much better to be unique. In Midnight in Paris the annoying character ( no do not recall his name as he annoyed me..um friends boyfriend, Mr.Samrty Pants) anyway he had a theory about people that live for the past, then it was repeated as well in a few other places in the movie...and it was basically because we can not seem to deal well enough with the here and now and so romance the past, and that what we consider the perfect time, well those people looked further back...it was the entire theme really of the whole movie...but you know what I do not care...I simply find I am happier with the here and now adding in, surrounding myself with things from the past. Who is to say it is not normal? Seems to me if enough people are doing that, and I know many, maybe it is the others who are not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing person, I love you, and you are unique. No matter what dream you have, just let it be and never think it is stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a really beautiful way of putting it Ruby. I love the "romantic past" and living in the present. Good to know I am not alone in the way I think. Thanks again for reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And "Anonymous"....thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is nothing I have read here that sounds the least bit stupid! I know this is a few years old but I just came across it today. I charged my phone like three times to keep reading! I think your interest and awe and respect for the past is heartwarming and refreshing! I too am a younger person who finds enjoyment in things way before my time. I hope you are still blogging because your stuff is so interesting to read. You're also an awesome writer, you should write a book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just made my day Kendra! Thank you so much for your sweet words.
      I am back to blogging again! Had a nice holiday vacation, but I am back with new entries lined up AND Silence is Platinum is now on Instagram.
      I have been wanting to write a book for a long time now. I think the hardest part for me would be to narrow down who and want to write about. I need to sit down one day and have a real think about it.
      Thank you again for reading :)

      Delete